XLR8UH, the multi-phase education and investment program designed to help grow University of Hawaiʻientrepreneurs and startups, has selected four companies for the program’s sixth cohort. More than 100 companies applied across multiple UH campuses.
The teams are eligible for up to $75,000 in seed capital, plus an additional $100,000 in follow-on funding, for a total XLR8UH-driven investment of $175,000.
“As we continue to build out a complete innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem for the entire UHSystem, we are pleased to see a high number of strong applicants competing for the few seats in this round,” said David Ai, chief innovation officer and director of the UH Office of Innovation and Commercialization. “It is a clear sign that UH has a robust entrepreneurial culture in place, which motivates us to continue to offer more services to give our startups their best chance at success.”
- Olga Borić-Lubecke, Victor Lubecke
- Adnoviv makes intelligent occupancy sensors that save energy without compromise
- Reza Ghorbani, Nour Lababidi
- Helps care-providers and physicians remotely monitor and examine their patients via secure web-based portals and web-integrated wireless devices
- Alberto Gonzalez Martinez, Dylan Kobayashi, Ryan Theriot
- A collaboration platform providing real-time team workspaces in the cloud
- Tom Knapp-Ramos
- Gift wrap for digital gifting
Over four months, the teams will receive company mentors, weekly workshops, office hours, presentations and lectures conducted by notable experts specializing in business, technology and startups. The program culminates in a public showcase where teams present in front of an audience of investors, partners and community stakeholders.
Recognized in 2017 by Forbes as one of the top 30 accelerator programs in the United States, XLR8UH is a public-private partnership between UH and Sultan Ventures.
“The excellent companies in this year’s cohort are sure to contribute to the program’s ongoing national recognition,” said Omar Sultan, founder and managing director, XLR8UH.